Safer Spaces Policy
Omaha Zine Fest is designed to be an accessible and safer space, providing an inclusive environment for everyone regardless of race, sexual orientation, gender, physicality, disabilities, age, religion, or marital status. Our safer space is supportive and designed to be free of oppressive and harassing behavior, actions and language. The fest is a space where everyone can feel comfortable and safe to have fun while respecting each other’s boundaries.
An accessibility guide with explicitly labelled entries, exits, elevators, quiet areas, bathrooms, stairs and other important information will be provided before the fest in early 2018.
Omaha Zine Fest attendees and exhibitors agree to maintain a safer space by abiding by the following guidelines:
- Respect physical and emotional boundaries.
- Respect differing opinions, beliefs, and perspectives.
- Always get explicit consent before physically touching another person or crossing other personal boundaries.
- Be aware the original intent of your actions and words is not always how they will be received, and respect those you are engaging. Be willing to adjust your behavior to promote a safer space.
The following actions will not be tolerated:
- Racism, sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, religious intolerance, ageism, sizeism and all other forms of discrimination
- Theft of money or property
- Physical, verbal, mental or any other form of abuse
- Sexual harassment, inappropriate/unwelcome comments and behaviors
- Disruptive or disrespectful behavior
- Causing a participant or attendee to feel distressed or unsafe
- Drug use on the premises, including underage alcohol consumption
- Misgendering will not be tolerated, pronoun nametags will be available free of charge for anyone interested, and no one should be questioned for what bathroom they are entering, using the facilities in or exiting
The organizers of Omaha Zine Fest are unable to preview all possible exhibitor materials before the event, though we will try. If participants find certain materials to be in violation of our safer spaces guidelines, Omaha Zine Fest organizers encourage you to make us aware of those problematic materials. We will respect the needs of any person raising concerns to us and confront problematic content and behavior.
Should an issue arise with an exhibitor or attendee before or during the event, Omaha Zine Fest organizers will be available to hear those concerns and attempt to mediate and find a solution that is in the best interests of promoting a safer space.
The Omaha Zine Fest organizers reserve the right to ask any participants who are violating the safer spaces policy to change or address their unsafe behavior or language. If anyone violating the safer spaces policy is unable to refrain from their unsafe behavior or language, they will be asked to leave the event without refund of their fee.
These policies apply to all Omaha Zine Fest coordinated events including but not limited to fundraisers, after parties and workshops. Disrespectful behavior in any form will not be tolerated and offenders will be asked to leave.
These policies are subject to change as we adapt and grow our fest and our accessibility and safer space policies. If you have any questions or concerns please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.